While Pecan Springs bustles back to life in the warmth of spring, one woman's life is tragically brought to an end. China Bayles happens upon a burning house trailer and hears a woman screaming for help. The evidence leaves no doubt that it's arson homicide.
Jessica Nelson, an intern-reporter at the local paper, is assigned to cover the story. But she's gotten herself too deeply involved. When Jessica disappears, China is determined to find her, before she becomes headlines herself.
Here's what reviewers have to say about the China Bayles mysteries!
- "Well-drawn secondary characters and lots of herbal lore... For readers who enjoy small-town settings and close-knit communities" —Booklist
- "[The long-running series] continues to provide solid mysteries [and] fascinating herb lore..." —Kirkus
- "China's followers will delight in the complicated relationships, recipes and historical flower information." —Kirkus Reviews
- "Engaging...Shaker-inspired recipes, excerpts from a fictional Shaker journal, insights into the Shaker religion and plenty of herbal lore enhance another winner from this dependable veteran." —Publishers Weekly review of the award-winning Shaker village mystery, Wormwood
- "A diabolically clever sleuth...China and Ruby make Batman and Robin look like amateurs." —Harriet Klausner
- "Add another fragrant bloom to the dozen already in the bouquet of Albert's herbal cozies." —Publishers Weekly
- "A visit to China Bayles' herb shop is always delightful...Albert's heroine just gets better defined as the books evolve." —Romantic Times
- "Quirky, enlightening and surprisingly profound, Albert's China Bayles mysteries are an absolute delight to read: head and shoulders above most other amateur whodunits." —Ransom Notes
Read an excerpt from Mourning Gloria
Watch "Central Texas Gardener": Susan with show host Tom Spencer, of KLRU/TV, talking about Mourning Gloria and the effects of psychoactive plants that wake us up, make us drowsy, and make us high. For the YouTube video of the show, go here.
Order from amazon.com
Order from Barnes & Noble
Order from your
local independent bookseller