Hot Soups for Chilly Days
Herbs are a wonderful addition to canned, ready-to-eat soups. To warm up your family and raise their spirits on a cold day, try these easy ideas. And be sure to top each bowl with a sprinkling of herb croutons.
- Add a quarter-cup of chopped mint leaves to split pea soup
- Add a teaspoon of dried basil to canned tomato soup
- Sauté one-half cup chopped onions and 2 chopped garlic cloves until soft. Place in blender with a can of black beans and puree. Add water for "soupy" consistency and heat.
- To canned gazpacho, add one-quarter cup snipped onion tops (from your windowsill garden), 1 teaspoon parsley (or two teaspoons fresh), one-half teaspoon dried thyme
- Add one-half teaspoon nutmeg to a can of broccoli-cheese soup
- To canned cauliflower-cheese soup, add one-quarter teaspoon dried dillweed and one-quarter teaspoon dry mustard